Research data management covers the planning, collecting, organising, managing, storage, security, backing up, preserving, and sharing of data. It ensures that research data are managed according to legal, statutory, ethical and funding body requirements.
Effective management of research data will:
- Increase research impact by maximising the visibility of the data and promoting transparency in research;
- Improve accessibility by ensuring the quality and integrity of the data is maintained during and beyond the life of the project;
- Prevent unauthorised use by allowing different access levels;
- Safeguard research data by establishing appropriate storage, back-up and management;
- Ensure researchers receive appropriate attribution via citations for their work